Clinical Practice Guidelines
Clinical Practice Guidelines
Lucet adopts clinical practice guidelines (CPGs) that are meant to assist providers with screening, assessing, and treating common behavioral health and substance use disorders. Before Lucet adopts a guideline, it is reviewed internally by a multi-disciplinary workgroup, board- certified psychiatrists, and the Corporate Quality Improvement Committee. Once adopted, Lucet reviews each guideline at least every two years to verify its continued applicability and currency. Guidelines older than five years are considered outdated and are retired. Lucet may adopt newly published guidelines throughout the year. Guideline changes are discussed at our Provider Advisory Committee and are reported through our online quarterly provider newsletter. We encourage you to periodically return to this webpage for updates.
National professional organizations including the National Academy of Medicine (NAM) (formerly Institute of Medicine) have established standards of guideline development (“NAM Standards”). The American Psychiatric Association (APA) and the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) have both published statements in support of the NAM standards.
The industry has recently been producing and updating a limited number of CPGs that meet the NAM standards. Accordingly, Lucet has reviewed and adopted the following clinical practice guidelines:
Click on titles to link to full version of documents
- ADHD: Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Diagnosis, Evaluation, and Treatment of ADHD in Children and Adolescents by American Academy of Pediatrics
- Practice Guideline for the Pharmacological Treatment of Patients with Alcohol Use Disorder by the American Psychiatric Association
- 2019–2020 Florida Best Practice Psychotherapeutic Medication Guidelines for Adults (2020). The University of South Florida, Florida Medicaid Drug Therapy Management Program sponsored by the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration
- Practice Guideline For The Treatment Of Patients With Schizophrenia, Third Edition, American Psychiatric Association
- The ASAM National Practice Guideline for the Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder: 2020 Focused Update. American Society of Addiction Medicine
- Clinical Practice Guideline for The Assessment and Management of Patients at Risk for Suicide; Version 2.0. Department of Veterans Affairs / Department of Defense (VA/DoD)
- Clinical Practice Guideline on Alcohol Withdrawal Management by the American Society of Addiction Medicine
- Clinical Practice Guideline for the Assessment and Treatment of Children and Adolescents With Anxiety Disorders. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- The American Psychiatric Association Practice Guideline for the Treatment of Patients with Eating Disorders, Fourth Edition
- Clinical Practice Guideline for the Assessment and Treatment of Children and Adolescents With Major and Persistent Depressive Disorders, Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry.
Measurement of clinical practice guidelines
Lucet adheres to HEDIS requirements for measuring the performance of providers compared to best practices. Per those requirements three nationally recognized Clinical Practice Guidelines are chosen for this purpose. Annually Lucet measures the clinical process of care covered in the three chosen CPGs with related HEDIS measures. Information about HEDIS® measures is available at: HEDIS® Toolkit.
Other clinical resources
The Clinical Resources listed below are maintained separately from the Clinical Practice Guidelines listed above. While these documents have valuable clinical information for care providers, Lucet has not officially adopted them as clinical practice guidelines. This is because they do not meet the NAM standards pertaining to rating the strength of evidence supporting recommendations made, and/or pertaining to applicability to the population with the condition being reviewed, or they were developed for medical systems outside the United States and may contain recommendations that may not apply to the US healthcare system.
- Clinical Report: Identification, Evaluation, and Management of Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder. American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: Diagnosis and Treatment in Children and Adolescents. Comparative Effectiveness Review No. 203. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
- Management of eating disorders for people with higher weight: clinical practice guideline National Eating Disorders Collaboration, Sydney, Australia